Wednesday, January 18, 2012

In a Conundrum

I've been going back and forth with this new situation/inner turmoil that I'm being faced with and honestly don't know what to do about it. 

As many of you know, I'm doing The 21-Day Sugar Detox program by Balanced Bites, which will be ending on the 22nd of January.  I've been sugar and gluten/grain free since January 2nd.  An amazing accomplishment for me - the queen of sugar addiction - LOL.  For the past week, now that the initial negative detoxing effects have subsided, I've felt beyond amazing, as I posted about the other day, and my health and well-being have certainly improved.  I honestly am going to do my damndest to follow this plan, but with more Paleo foods added to it now that I've gotten through the toughest part - removing the sugar/gluten/grain from my system.  Now, although I'm sure it will be a bit of a struggle, especially in the beginning, I feel like I can face and get through most "outside" situations, such as dinners/meals with friends, playdates that my son goes to, and other social situations.  I may have an accidental slip here and there, but certainly not an intentional one.

Mini vanilla/vanilla cupcakes for a friend's baby shower.
 
My conundrum is that I'm known as "the dessert person," especially for my cupcakes.  How do I go around talking about a healthy lifestyle full of whole foods, gluten/grain free, and no sugar other than the occasional honey or maple syrup I'll use for sweetening certain items when I'm then baking/feeding others this crap?  Granted I can stick strictly to scratch recipes for some items, but others I can't.  I feel like I'm being a hypocrite, but everyone is free to make their own food choices so if they want the cupcakes or other dessert items, who am I to deny them what they'd like for their event?  Make sense?  Do I just sit back and watch them eat this stuff that isn't great for their health and bodies while I abstain and try to encourage my 3-year old son to abstain from it also?  Yes, I can provide gluten-free and/or Paleo-ish treats, but how would that go over?  Granted, if I'm getting a "special request" for my baking services, I'd do what the person specifically requested, but still.  Then, with having that temptation right there in front of me, at my fingertips, experiencing the scents of it while it wafts through the air as bakes, would I be able to fully abstain?

Halloween Whoopie Pies


Plus, for me, baking is my "calm place" and complete stress relief for me.  It just puts me in a zone that nothing else can (other than relaxing while sitting by the ocean, a lake, or any other body of water.  Must be the Pisces in me - LOL).  I feel like I'd be losing a part of me, almost like a body limb, if I gave it up.  Seriously.  There's just something incredibly comforting to me about squeezing a decorating bag full of freshly-made buttercream icing.  Nothing like it at all.

The ocean.  My other "inner calm" place.


So, this is my conundrum that I must resolve for myself on a very inner, emotional level.  It may sound crazy, but that's just me.  Wish me luck and peace of mind, please.  I could use it :-)

Wishing you peace, love, and happiness,

Kristyn

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is too short to not enjoy the things you love most. In moderation of course. I hope you can find some baking recipes you can eat and share! And if every once in a while you go for the bad stuff, well, you're only human, forgive yourself. Good luck Kris...I hope you find some peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog off the 21-day detox facebook page. I'm in the exact same conundrum - I'm the dessert person, and I like that role. So I figure my two options - become the veggie side dish or protein person, or figure out how to make really good paleo or at least gluten free desserts. I made paleo brownies from Elena's pantry last weekend for a friend - they were good. I was surprised. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand how you're feeling ... I, too, find a lot of pleasure in baking - and providing food for occasions. However, all of my adult children are now doing the Paleo diet & Cross-Fit -- and they have all totally embraced this lifestyle - so when we have family get-togethers they just experiment with new recipes that fit the plan. It's been fun to see what everyone comes up with - and to rate which recipes are good - or not. I think that when your friends see you committed to eating healthy & sticking to it they will admire you for your perserverence.

    ReplyDelete