Thursday, January 5, 2012

Spanking The Monkey!!!


Yes, I admit it!  Since Monday I’ve been spanking the monkey nonstop.  Didn't realize how difficult it would be ;-)  No, no, no…Not THAT!!!!  Now come on, get your mind out of the gutter people!!!

What I’m referring to is the monkey on my back…Addiction…Sugar addiction to be  precise.  I am convinced now, more than ever, that sugar really is an addictive drug, just as addictive as alcohol, heroin, or any other “feel good” drug out there.  Detoxing from it is insanely difficult, too.

Don't be fooled!!!  They're not as sweet & innocent as they appear :-)

 On January 2nd I started The 21-Day Sugar Detox to rid my body of sugar and grains (gluten being another nasty and useless item for your body.)  Now, I know I’ve always had a sweet tooth my entire life; but most of us do…Don’t we???  Come on, I grew up with a mom who used to bake all the time and was known for her mini cupcakes that she’d make each year for my birthday.  Heck, I have friends from when I was in grade school and high school who STILL remember those cupcakes with fond memories!!!  From an early age, I have continued to carry on her tradition of baking lots and lots of yummy desserts and treats for friends and family.  Heck, you may as well now call me "The Sugar Dealer."  But, anyway, back to my detoxing experience.  One of the reasons I took up this challenge has to do with one of my New Year’s Goals of getting myself on a more nutritionally healthy path.   With having Multiple Sclerosis, I really do need whatever edge I can get in managing my disease.  But to do that, I must first rid my body of these toxins (sugar, gluten, chemicals, dyes, etc.) that are in so many of our foods and beverages.

Day 1 of the detox wasn’t bad ,and I really didn’t crave or “miss” anything food wise.  I did notice a small headache coming on right around bedtime, but didn’t think twice about it.  When I woke up on Day 2, the headache was much worse and definitely noticeable.  However, the sugar cravings hit BIG TIME!!!  Didn’t matter what it was; if it had sugar in it, I wanted it – NOW!!!  I was at the point of looking at some of the chocolate chip morsels I still had in the house and wanted just one…I kept telling myself  “Not the whole bag or even a handful…Just ONE hit.  That’s all I need.”   I’m strong; I only needed one quick hit to get me by.  Well, that kept going through my brain all freakin’ day.  Then, yesterday, Day 3, it was even worse.  I was all antsy/jittery, cranky as all get out…All I needed was just one cup of hot chocolate or one chocolate chip morsel and I’d be good.  Really.  Then it got me thinking, this is how an addict must feel…Just one shot of alcohol and it’ll be all good, just one more hit of my drug of choice and I’d be fine.  I could handle it.  No big deal, right?  Yes, that’s when I knew and acknowledged that I truly did have an addiction to sugar.  To be honest, it was a very sobering moment.  I know I’m strong and can get through this.  It’s just going to have to take the will, desire, determination, and strength to do so and to continue on, one day at a time.  Today was Day 4 and the sugar craving is still there, but a little less than yesterday. 


I’m hoping I’ve turned the corner.  I’ve still got 17 more days to go.  Even after the 21 days are over, I know I will need to monitor and really think about what I’m eating and putting into my body.  Be aware of the “hidden” sugar and gluten in all the foods that are out there.  Even the sugars in fruit, which is a definite downfall of mine will need to be watched.  But, I will say, that even with only detoxing 4 days now, I can feel a difference happening in my body and my mind, and it’s all for the better!  Besides, when you’re as sweet as I am, who needs all that extra sugar anyway?!?!!!!!!
Can you tell I love Sock Monkey?!?!!!
 Wishing you peace, love, and happiness,
Kristyn

1 comment:

  1. Love the monkey theme! :) I also re-started my blog (http://www.runfoodierunboston.com) and I really think it's helping me keep this up. It's a great way to stay accountable. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete