Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Saying AMEN" Sunday!!! - D

Time for this week's "Saying Amen" item on what I'm most grateful for!!!  This, by far, has been my most favorite to write about and the one that has meant the most to me by a long shot!!!  My "D" AMEN is by far my heart and soul :-)

- I’m saying AMEN for DENICKS!!!!  Two Denicks in particular, George and Charlotte Denick.  Otherwise known as my grandparents and the most incredible and amazing human beings I know!!!  There is no way I can ever express how much they mean to me.  To me, they are the epitome of love.  This June will mark 71 years of marriage for them.  What a beautiful accomplishment and milestone and they are still so cute together and still deeply in love with each other :-)  Grandma turned 92 a couple weeks ago; and God willing, Grandpa turns 94 this coming March.  I have been blessed in so many ways in having them in my life for as long as I have.  OK, getting teary-eyed over here...That always happens when I think about them and reflect on all that they've taught me and all the love they have shown me.  They've never once judged me or tried to change me in any way, shape, or form.  They've let me be me and have accepted me and loved me through it all.

Their wedding photo!!!  June marks 71 years :-)
It is through my grandfather that I get my love of cooking.  He was a great teacher and full of so much food knowledge!  It's funny, for all the family gatherings and parties our family has had, whenever they've been at my place, he's never once come into my kitchen to try and take over any cooking or offer his usual "help" or "suggestions," which was his usual "habit" with all the other family members when he was more mobile and able to stand and cook.  I consider that one of the greatest compliments he could ever bestow on me :-)  Plus, he's sincerely complimented some of my dishes in the past, which is huge for me, too!!!

Probably around 1978 or so at my parents' former cabin.

Now grandma...that lady is a pip!!!  No one like her in this world!!!  She's the sweetest woman you will ever meet.  Not a bad word for anyone and has a prayer for everyone and anyone.  Also, no matter where she goes or what she does, even just hanging out around their place, she is always dressed up nicely with hair and makeup all done.  Plus, no matter when you go visit, her house is spotless.  She's still doing it all herself, even at 92 years old.  Said she'd never consider having a cleaning person come in or having someone do the laundry, nothing like that.  She also LOVES her beer and chocolate - LOL!!!!  Has chocolate every day plus a couple of lite beers at dinner, more if she's at a family gathering or party.  Make sure to have a 12-pack cold, ready, and waiting!!!  It must be working for her, though, because look at her age, plus she has hardly ever been sick with anything more than a cold (although she did have pneumonia a couple years ago, but at her age, that's not too surprising).  Oh, and the things that come out of her mouth when she's drinking...Lord have mercy!!!  She can make you blush!!!  I still remember one time years back the family was around the table one Sunday afternoon.  I don't remember what exactly we were talking about, but my cousin asked her "Is that all you ever think about?" and she starts pounding her fists on the dining room table going "Sex!  Sex! Sex!"  She's come out with many other doozies since that, but that one just sticks in my mind.  Hmmm..that must be where I get that part of my personality from ;-)

Probably late 1990s/early 2000s.


Well, this could turn into a huge, huge, huge post as there is so much I could write about them and their lives, but I'll keep it at this.  They absolutely mean the world to me.  I love you Grandma and Grandpa with every ounce of my being!!!

Christmas 2010


Wishing you peace, love, and happiness,

Kristyn



No comments:

Post a Comment